KLD agrees with me. Tonight she said, "Mommy, we haven't been reading together lately." And I agreed, and told her my thoughts on missing the school year. She said, "Yes--we never snuggle and read anymore."
Exactly. Now that we don't rush out the door at 7:55 every day during the school year, doing so for swim team every day seems like quite a burden. Just think that in past years, summer was my q-time with the kids; now I feel like I'm hardly seeing them! And I had these visions of continuing with a bit of "light" schooling during the summer--a little math here and there, for example, so they didn't lose ground. Right, like we've had time to do that.
But, to be fair, part of the reason we haven't been reading and talking together so much is that all three of the oldest ones are so obsessed with reading reading reading and audiobooks audiobooks audiobooks, that I just let them be, and take advantage of the quiet time with the two youngest. That is one summer goal that I do feel that I'm doing: One-on-one with JPD. And potty-training isn't a done deal yet, but I would say we have some serious progress in that department (hooray!). And in addition to the reading/audiobooks fanaticism, each of them has a topic of study for the summer: baseball/horses/tennis, respectively. And for the final product, WWD is making a baseball newspaper, which he's quite pumped about and working hard on now. I'm sure you'll be seeing it soon! So that's something in the way of summer school, not to mention that I'm THRILLED with their swimming proficiency and the fun they're having with their golf, tennis, and camps. So I guess it's okay. Well, more than okay, even.
And finally, a JPD story of the day. This morning we went en masse to the grocery store--usually a recipe for chaos, and today was certainly no exception. I lost JPD once or twice, and once I really did. Turns out he was on the far side of the store from me, in floral. I was near the service desk and they'd already heard from the floral staff about this little boy dressed in Longhorn gear: Was anybody looking for him? Well, I was. And when I got over to floral, there he was, with a red rose for me. He'd gone all the way across the store for a flower for his mommy.
I guess today's grocery incident pretty much sums up my life with that precious little guy!










No comments:
Post a Comment