This morning we went to the second of a two-part class about the moon. I was amazed to learn how far across the sky the moon moves from one day to the next; I thought it was just a tiny bit per day. Also, it goes from right to left (that is, east to west, I suppose), which seems strange to me.
As you might have noticed, we've been reading quite a few books about the moon and about the moon landings this fall. Until now, I never really knew how the relative positions of the moon, sun, and earth correspond to the moon phases that we see. We also checked out one of the planetarium's telescopes, and we're looking forward to seeing the close line-up of Jupiter, Venus, and the moon which is occuring right now (if only all these clouds would get out of the way--go away, snow!).
I hope my kids are as fascinated by all this as I am! :)










No comments:
Post a Comment