...or maybe Homeschool Sabbatical, I'm not sure yet. As you may recall, for several weeks now I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed. There is a little Catholic school within reasonable driving distance of our house--sometimes we go over there for Mass, when we feel like it. I haven't been able to get this little school out of my mind, so finally I just called them up and last week the kids and I went for a tour.
We all liked it. A lot. And it turns out that they are on a trimester schedule and would welcome us (meaning the kids, not me!) for the last third of the school year, which starts March 9.
We haven't decided for sure--I actually have a little meeting scheduled tomorrow with a very wise priest who can help me sort this out--but it is certainly looking like the three oldest kids will be going to school for the next 12 weeks. The thing is, I do believe this is God's will, for now, and I really have that peace about it. I'm hoping Fr. will help me to be sure of this tomorrow.
I am only thinking of this as a break, and we'll be back to homeschooling in the fall. "Like going to day camp," I told the kids, and I was honest about my plans with the school, too.
I'm only a teeny bit afraid that this is a colossal mistake. Actually, surprisingly, I think it's kinda perfect. This is good for each of them, each for his/her own reason, and it's very good for me, for many reasons. It will be good for JPD and MPD, and probably best of all for my dear Bill, who needs more of my energy than he's been getting.
If you find this shocking, well, so do I. I'm not one to make rash decisions like this. But I guess I can do it when necessary! I do love homeschooling so and I will miss having everyone home so much! I really just need to breathe, just for a while, if that makes sense. I'm most looking forward to taking the baby for long walks in the stroller this spring, just the two of us. I have always done that with every child, and I do love it, and I desperately need the exercise, and long stroller walks have been an impossibility while homeschooling. I am also looking forward to a massive spring cleaning and organization for our home, which is sorely in need of it.
Of course I'm scared that we will all like this school so much that we will want to continue there. I'm also scared that only some of us will like it, so that there will be a lack of consensus about whether to homeschool again--ugh. But I'm hoping that it will make us all realize that although school is nice, we miss homeschooling and will more fully appreciate the wonderful opportunity it gives us to be together all day every day!
I can always hope, right?!
Thy Will Be Done!!!
Welcome Back...
to my little blog--our online photo album, schoolwork portfolio, and journal of my deepest wisdom and innermost secret thoughts. Or something like that.
Drop by any time to see what's going on around here!
Drop by any time to see what's going on around here!
2/23/2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










5 comments:
don't do it!!!!!! :)
Oh no!! I knew you would say that! :)
I think putting them in for a trimester, would be a great test period to see if it does work out. I've been tempted to put my kids in school alot this year, but after praying on it felt hat homeschooling is best for us. I'll pray for you to have peace about whichever optionis God's will for your family!
I'll be praying for you for this big decision you are making!
If this is right for you and your children, then DO IT! It may be that you all just need a break from each other and you need to mentally recharge and figure out where you want to go and what you want to do as a mom, or you may just need a break. It's not a crime.
For example, today I declared it "National Mommy's Had Enough of You So We're Going to the Zoo Day." If you need a Mental Health Trimester, then good for you for taking it!
Post a Comment