...by this article from The New York Times. The article itself is merely annoying; it's the comments following the article that are enough to make you doubt whether there is, in fact, any intelligent life on our planet. (You gotta read these comments; otherwise you wouldn't possibly understand why I am so very MAD.)
Apparently some people out there don't approve of big families--defined as more than the two kids required to replace the two parents. I know, I know..."WHAT?" It's the zero population growth nonsense, this idea that there will just be too many people on the planet and we must take unnatural measures to prevent more births. Somehow this will finally enable the end of poverty and, probably, global warming, or something. And there's even the accusation that having more than one's allotment of children is...get this...selfish!?!
Well, trust me, having a handful of kids doesn't feel selfish. I must say that the idea of having lots of kids as something selfish has truly never occurred to me. Quite the opposite--to me, the opposite path seems a bit selfish, but I'm not one to assume I know the whole story behind anyone's family size or composition. That being said, I must also say that it seems to me that many people who choose not to have a large family mostly do so because of the--well, unglamorous lifestyle associated with traipsing around with a nursing baby and a handful of wee ones. It's hard to drop everything and fly off somewhere cool for the weekend. It's hard to afford fancy vacations. It's hard to drive a BMW--they just don't make 'em big enough, even if you could afford it! It's hard to find time to exercise and go for mani-pedis. You never get enough sleep. You eat too much pizza, and far too little pate de fois gras. There are certainly far, far too few tropical drinks associated with the large-family lifestyle.
Obviously, in my family we think the tradeoffs are worth it, to say the least. (And I must note that we have no plans or expectations for the U.S. government to support our basic needs any time soon--unless you count, say, homeland security. We're cheerfully paying taxes for schools we don't use, as a matter of fact. As for people who have more kids than they can afford, well, I'm not one to tell others how big their family should be, see?) For me, having more than two children isn't about being selfish. It's about being called--no kidding--to participate in the miracle of creation.
See, these little people are precious, unique, eternal human souls. To suggest that we should limit the numbers of souls in future generations surely requires a fundamental misjudgment of the value of human life. "How can there be too many children?" said Mother Teresa, "That is like saying there are too many flowers." We should love them all--biological, adopted, orphaned, hungry, every color of the rainbow--all.
Overpopulation is not the problem. Didn't I read recently and write in this very blog about the fact that Americans spend more each year on pet food than would be needed to feed everyone starving in Africa? We've got, like, 5% of the world's population consuming around 30% of the world's resources, here. If we stop the madness of American consumerism and materialism, it would go a long way towards ensuring sufficient resources and opportunities for all the precious little eternal beings.
C.S. Lewis says something on this that always sticks in my mind: Your neighbor is the closest thing you will ever encounter in this life to Eternity. People are not animals, to be counted and fed and controlled and euthanized. People are much closer to angels. In fact, people are much more precious than angels, as evidenced by the fact that our Creator actually became human.
I would love to hear from some of you on this. Am I missing something, here? Is the big family a luxury from a bygone agrarian society? Is it actually selfish to give birth to one's own biological children instead of driving the Prius over to get a couple from the adoption agency, because that's somehow nobler than going through pregnancy and childbirth? Is it actually admirable to artificially, unnaturally inhibit one's own fertility? Am I just blinded by religious fanaticism or something?
These lunatic New York Times commenters have gotten me just fit to be tied.
Welcome Back...
to my little blog--our online photo album, schoolwork portfolio, and journal of my deepest wisdom and innermost secret thoughts. Or something like that.
Drop by any time to see what's going on around here!
Drop by any time to see what's going on around here!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










10 comments:
I'll comment! I agree with you, it should be your choice, but the single lady that just had eight more kids is completely out of control. I do think that is ridiculous! I don't know how in the world she is going to care for all those kids by herself??? Government assistance???
I agree. The problem with that one is IVF. It seems to me that the key to a happy life is following God's plan, not our own, for how many children to have.
As with other biotechnological issues (ahem), just because science enables us to do something, does not mean it's a good idea. I don't know a lot about the 14-kids woman, other than that she can't financially support her artificially-created kids, but she certainly seems to be a good argument against IVF.
I was totally in agreement with your post until I got to the last paragraph. NO, it is absolutely not selfish to give birth to a large family biologically~ for all the reasons you have so eloquently mentioned. I LOVE large families~ those where the chldren were born from the womb AND those where the children are born in the heart. Please don't judge those who choose to build or add to their families through adoption. Not everyone who adopts is doing so to be "politically correct." In fact I would say those who do are in the minority. Many would love to be able to birth more children and simply for one reason or another cannot. Many, are simply taking the Bible literally and are following God's command to care for the widows and orphans. Many, have room in their hearts, room in their homes and a strong desire to give a child the blessing of a family~ a mommy and a daddy. And the gift of siblings. After all, it is God "who sets the lonely in families." Many are parenting children with known medical conditions~ providing medical care for those children who would never otherwise receive it. Who perhaps would die due to their illness without ever having a family of their own. Who if they did live would be "unwanted" by their society because of a disability or deformity.
So, let's stand united on the common ground of love of large families, no matter how they are built. There are already enough people out there that are against us. :)
Pam~ mother of 3 precious souls birthed by me, and 2 equally precious souls born in my heart half a world away. Each one a gift from God.
Oh my goodness! I never meant to give the impression that I have anything but the most love and respect for adoption. I would adopt a child, any day, and perhaps I will do so, someday. Had I been so called, I'd have a house full of adopted children instead, for sure.
In the NYTimes comments, several people said or implied that we should all pursue adoption instead of having biological children, for the purpose of limiting population growth. Sort of like recycling, or something. That was the idea that I found offensive.
Thanks so much for sharing your opinion, and I think I might revise the post a bit, just to clarify!
Kim, I agree. The idea to build a family through adoption as a means to limit population growth is extrememly, extremely offensive. It sounds like I mis-read your one sentence, and I am so glad we are on the same page. :) If God calls you to adopt some day, you will be indeed be blessed. If not, and he certainly doesn't call everyone, you are blessed with the BIG beautiful family he has given you. (and maybe there will be more!)
Pam
Pam, I just re-read your first message. By any chance, could you be...Pam H.???????!!!!!! :)
If so, I'd love to take this conversation off-blog to catch up! Email me at joyfulnoise7@gmail.com!!
I have to respectfully disagree about the lady with 14 in California. We don't see any visible form of support, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. I don't know who is paying her bills, but it isn't the taxpayers (as of today) and is really none of our business. She chose to have all 6 embryos implanted rather than left in a dish or destroyed, and as much as I dislike her decision to use IVF, I applaud her choice to give them all a shot at life.
All that she had truly accomplished so far is to still up a lot of hatred for big families, and that I am opposed to obviously.
Yep, it's me! I emailed you. :)
Pam
I finally saw the 8-tuplets woman on TV, and now understand a bit more about her. I think she just loves loves loves babies. I don't know where she is getting her money--perhaps she doesn't know, either--but I guess there are worse things to do with taxpayer money, right (like fund some of the quite scary aspects of the stimulus plan...) ? I wonder how she got the money for the IVF?
I do agree that it's better to implant the babies than to let them die a frozen embryo death, but the whole thing just reinforces my thought that this whole IVF thing is a bad idea, that we should be really thinking much harder about before endorsing.
She said she got the money for IVF several years ago by working double and triple shifts at a psychiatric facility and saving every penny she made. She said that having babies was so important to her that she drove an old beater car and lived with her folks for as long as she could. Once she had saved in excess of $100,000 she began treatments. I would wager that much of the money she lives on comes from a combo of money for her handicapped children and her own personal savings.
Post a Comment