Welcome Back...

to my little blog--our online photo album, schoolwork portfolio, and journal of my deepest wisdom and innermost secret thoughts. Or something like that.

Drop by any time to see what's going on around here!

5/15/2009

Did I Mention that I Love Spring?

Today the two brown-eyed boys and I went on a field trip to the Apple Farm, where we saw what the apple trees look like in the springtime. Of course, there were no apples to eat, which was a bit confusing for some of us at first. But it was great! We were having spring showers today, so we hiked in the misty orchard, saw the strawberry plants just beginning to bloom, learned about how the bees help the apples grow, and planted some bean seeds and tomato plants to take home.



It feels so funny to go to our field trips without the three oldest kids. Of course it's nice to be able to focus on the little guys--but I do miss the older ones too. I guess that sentiment goes for homeschooling overall, now that I think about it!

Still, I'm thinking that we'll be doing "real" school again in the fall. We are all really happy with it, and school has been good for each of them in a different and specific way. I miss homeschooling--especially how much reading we had time to do, together and separately--but honestly don't miss everyone's very strong-willed personalities all in the house together all day! And when I really examine the pros and cons, and consider it in light of not what I want or feel, but what is actually the best set-up for our whole family (including the bread-winning, clean-house-craving one), this seems to be God's will for us for now. Even JPD's gonna go a couple of days a week in the fall, and he is very excited to be going to school with the big kids. So, it's all good--and no more excuses for avoiding housework for me! :)
(P.S. Stay tuned--I'm sure I'll come up with something.)

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Good for you making the best decision for your family with the schooling! It can be hard to discern what's best, and sometimes what we think will be best may not really be. We're kind of doing the opposite next year -- going from public to home school -- and only time will tell how it goes. It seems like so many people are polarized on this issue -- either they're anti-homeschool or they're anti-public school -- and that's so unnecessary. They can both be great; it just depends on the school,the kids, the family, etc. I hope things work out great this coming year for you guys! Just maybe don't take down those homeschool links on your blog yet ... I need to check those out! :)