Welcome Back...

to my little blog--our online photo album, schoolwork portfolio, and journal of my deepest wisdom and innermost secret thoughts. Or something like that.

Drop by any time to see what's going on around here!

5/02/2009

Farm Fresh Frenzy

You may remember that last summer, after reading Barbara Kingsolver's book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" I discovered the local food concept and got quite excited about eating from our wonderful local farms. Well, despite the long Wisconsin winter, I didn't quite forget this new project. We've joined a CSA farm, and this week we got our first Spring Vegetable Share. I'm SO excited! As you can see, my two henchmen share my excitement...

Here's what we got in our first box: Salad mix of three lettuce varieties, the most gorgeous radishes I've ever seen, arugula (which I LOVE), saute mix of greens, a pretty red oakleaf lettuce head--quite delicious, some great spinach, a head of bok choy (I have literally never seen bok choy except on a plate at a restaurant before--it is so cool! JPD is holding it in the pictures, and they are tasting the different lettuces), watercress, chives, and a bunch of dandelion greens. I think this week we will be eating more green stuff than ever before! Of course I've been scrambling around a bit to find recipes for all these spring delicacies; next week I'll be a bit more prepared, now that I have a better idea of what to expect. Last night we had an awesome stir fry (the kids even liked it), and we had the most incredibly delicious dinner tonight, including something for everyone: a fantastic salad, some watercress soup (watercress...who knew?), and this yummy spinach-ricotta pie. YUM!

1 comment:

Elizabeth in Wisconsin said...

Wow! We spent the weekend getting our "early crops" planted... It's amazing to me that this stuff is already ready for harvest locally! YUM!