Welcome Back...

to my little blog--our online photo album, schoolwork portfolio, and journal of my deepest wisdom and innermost secret thoughts. Or something like that.

Drop by any time to see what's going on around here!

4/11/2009

Speaking of School...

                                 abcs

...we're liking it.  A lot.  Every day I change my mind about what would be best for our school next year, and whether we should homeschool or have everyone go to school, or have some of us homeschool and some of us not.   I am trying not to think directly about it too much--because I really do change my mind every day--until closer to the end of this school year, just to see how things play out and just let the Holy Spirit lead me over the course of the next couple of months.

This particular school is great for us because it is so small.  To me, it seems that the school's small size provides the opportunity for much more individual instruction and differentiated curriculum than schools normally can do, it makes the school quite a sweet little close-knit community, and it seems to drastically reduce the too-strong peer influence that can happen in bigger schools. 

I'm actually also quite pleased with the religion instruction they're getting--already both girls have had a turn to actually read at Mass, which the students attend twice weekly, and WWD will get to serve at Mass for the first time in the next few weeks.  (I can't wait for that!)  They have religion class every day, the older ones pray the Stations of the Cross weekly during Lent, and they'll have Confession for the kids after Mass one day during Holy Week.  All this good Catholic stuff really takes away some of my concern about my precious babies being out in our crazy secular-humanistic society, because they're not; they're out in the rolling hills of farm country, in a tiny school with just 37 other kids. 

But:  We leave the house each morning at 7:30 (or so) and get home no earlier than 3:30.  We have to manage lunches, backpacks, and homework assignments.  I don't always see the point of their assignments, or agree that they should spend their academic time on some of the things I see them doing.  We can't set our own schedule and just take days off whenever we feel like it.  And there is just so much cool homeschooling stuff that I really want to do!  Besides, I really miss them.

On the other hand, JPD and MPD and I have really been having a good time--I'll write another post or two about some of the little-guy fun stuff we've been doing.  In addition to my major home improvement projects that are my mission during this sabbatical from homeschooling, I have been doing some preschool stuff with JPD every day, and that is great.  MPD's on the move, big time, and he's having these loooooong, peaceful naps in the now-quiet house, which is so good for him.  Having a calmer, not-so-overwhelmed Mommy seems to be just the ticket for the little guys, too!

The truth is, we are really so blessed to have more than one good school option.  No matter what educational configuration we do for next year, I think things will turn out quite nicely, really.  So I'm just prayerfully discerning God's will for this important issue, and trying to be confident that His will will be done in this and all things!

"Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen."    ~ Ephesians 3:20-21

No comments: